Monday, September 14, 2009

Rice Krispie Treats...Mexican Style

Vanilla and Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats

One of the desserts that I always like to make for my friends and neighbors when I am abroad is Rice Krispie Treats. I think they represent a classic American treat, and I find that my foreign audience is usually pretty receptive to the new dessert.

Rice Krispies...can be found in Mexico

However, one of the many challenges of baking in a different country is finding all of the necessary ingredients. The last time I was in Mexico, I had the hardest time find old-fashioned Rice Krispies cereal. Can you imagine? Snap, Crackle, and Pop are such icons in the U.S., but in other countries they appear to be unknown personalities. This time around I had much better luck finding the cereal, and it now seems that almost every grocery store stocks the classic blue box.

Malvaviscos...Mexican marshmallows

The next obstacle was finding marshmallows. I have yet to find a bag of plain old marshmallows in Mexico. Now, I don’t mean to have you believe that marshmallows don’t exist here. Rather, they do indeed exist here. But, malvaviscos as they are called usually come in bags of several different flavors and many different sizes. The simplest version I could find was a bag of giant vanilla and strawberry marshmallows at Walmart. I decided to play with these two flavors and make a batch of Rice Krispie treats that were half vanilla and half strawberry. Today is my birthday, and I am taking this “American-Mexican” dessert to share with my Mexican neighbors. They have kindly invited me over to their house tonight for dinner in order to celebrate my birthday. I hope they enjoy this combination of flavors! Rice Krispie Treats

Recipe Source: The Box :-)

Treats 4 TBSP (½ stick) unsalted butter 10 oz marshmallows 6 cups Rice Krispies

  • Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
  • Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
  • Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies.
  • Spoon into a 9x13” tray and pat flat with the palm of your hand.
  • Cool and cut into squares.

*To make the Mexican version (half vanilla, half strawberry), split all amounts in half.

Makes…one 9x13 tray of treats

Printable Recipe

2 comments:

  1. At the beginning of summer, when our raspberry bush was going bonkers, I pureed some berries and threw the result into a mix of Rice Krispie Treats. It was phenomenal, and actually much easier to handle than the original, probably due to the additional liquid. However, the same liquid made the treats go soggy rather quickly. Next time we'll just have to eat them faster! Your version looks yummy. :)

    Best,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so good. i was thinking about making rice krispie treats here in mexico last week and wondering what to do about the flavored marshmallow issue. great idea with the spliting the 2 flavors.

    ReplyDelete